It is unlawful to keep, harbor, own or in any way possess within the corporate city limits of the city any PIT BULL DOG
Any pit bull dog, Pit Bull Dog is defined to mean:
(1) The bull terrier breed of dog;
(2) Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
(3) The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
(4) The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
(5) Dogs of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs or pit bull terriers;
(6) Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier; any other breed known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs or pit bull terriers; or a combination of any of these breeds.
If you have a dog over the age of six months within the Rossville city limits, the dog must be registered and licensed with the City. Owners need to provide to City Hall a certificate of rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian in order to register and license a dog. A metallic license tag is provided for each dog when registered. The tag must be affixed to the dogs’ collar or harness and constantly worn. Dog tags must be renewed annually. A tag fee of $5.00 and a late fee of $25.00 apply after April 1, per dog. If you are a new resident of Rossville with a dog, you have 60 days to register the dog before the tag fee and late charge applies. All dog fees are applied per dog.
All dogs must be confined to a chain or in a fence on the premises of the owner if unattended. All dogs must be on a leash when off their premises. If your dog is found running lose and impounded, an impounding fee of $20 applies for a licensed dog and for unlicensed is $25. Additionally, a $5.00 per day boarding fee applies. Charges will increase if the dog is impounded more than one time during a 12-month period.
You may review our City Code Book as it applies to Dogs in Chapter II, Animal & Fowl, Article II & III , Pages 2-4 thru 2-10.
Methods for Providing Payment and Rabies Certificate
Payment for the dog tags may be made online and by faxing the certificate of rabies certificate to City Hall at 785-584-6667. Upon receipt of both payment and certificate, a city tag will then be mailed to your service address.
You may place your payment and a copy of your rabies certificate in our after-hours payment slot that is located in the outside foyer of City Hall. Upon receipt, a city tag will be mailed to your service address.
We also welcome you to visit City Hall to register your dog by presenting the rabies certificate and making payment personally. Our office is located at 438 Main and we are open Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to Noon and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. .
If you have questions, please direct your calls to City Hall at 785-584-6155.